Monday, October 25, 2010

It's kind of like a first date....

My first blog here.  Im a bit nervous, to be honest.
So, for those of you who haven't read my previous blog (it only had a total of 34 views in it's lifetime, so that's the whole world), I'm setting myself on a career path.
This career path is bound to be littered with carnage.  I'm guaranteed weeks worth of self doubt and basic poverty for the foreseeable future.  Why?  Because I want to be an actress.
I have wanted to be an actress, professionally, since I was twelve.  Which doesn't mean anything.  I'm sure a good percentage of kids dream about the bright lights of Hollywood.
But now i'm 24, and still dreaming.
It's been easy to put off over the last three years or so.  I was always waiting on the right photographer, the right headshot, the right location.  The fact is, these are all excuses and they're all getting me nowhere. 
I have four friends who are actively pursuing a career as actors.  I have another two friends who are doing the same, yet not as actively. 
last week one of my more active friends signed with Malaky International.   I'm happy for her.  I really am, but I'm even more jealous.
I can't fault her, she worked hard for five years.  She took classes, joined troupes and self submitted for student film after student film.
And now she has an agent.  I have none.
So what do i have?  I have two regional commercials as a kid, half a dozen theater credits, a cable access appearance (which i pray never sees the light of day), a touch of voice training, a couple years of dance, and i'm ten weeks deep into a six week fundamentals class.
So basically, I'm as green as the grass on the other side.
I also have goals.  I'm 140 pounds thanks to a broken toe and a love of junk food.  I;m 5'7", so I'm hoping to get down into the 120's by the new year.  I'm also a good 1500 in debt, which I'm working towards paying down so I can replace the balances with charges for headshots and classes. 

So that's me.  
So now, what do I want to accomplish?  Well, Ideally I'd like to be Julia Roberts. 
Realistically, I'd like to have a few classes and student films under my belt, plus a commercial agent by my 25th birthday.  Which is in August.
I am fully aware that this is impossible, but If I don't have something I want to work towards, I wont work at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment